Associate Level Training Description
This structured and systematic training strives to increase teachers’ knowledge and effectiveness in working with students who have dyslexia and language-learning difficulties. It is an intensive course that provides opportunities for a variety of hands-on exercises which advance the understanding of specific procedures of the Orton-Gillingham Approach and the underlying principles in teaching reading, spelling, and written expression.
This course will provide participants with:
· the rules and phonetic patterns of our language
· the definition of dyslexia and the characteristics of the dyslexic child suggestions for creating a classroom environment conducive for learning
· resources and teaching materials
· current readings and research
· a minimum of a year of follow-up support with teaching observations, consultations, and in-service programs
· opportunities to attend lectures and meetings at Camperdown Academy throughout the following year.
Participants in this course must complete the following:
· read articles, write summaries, and pass all tests with at least a score of 80%
· develop understanding of phonological awareness
· demonstrate an understanding of and learn to apply the rules and theory of systematic phonics for reading and spelling
· produce a course project, including student assessment and lesson plans
· attend at least 2 conferences or in-services during the following year
· tutor a student at least twice weekly for a minimum of eight months after the training
· keep a file of lesson plans
· complete required readings
Participation in this training requires a minimum of a 4-year college degree not necessarily related to education.
This course is the first step in the process of applying to the AOGPE, a certifying body for Orton-Gillingham trained tutors. Arrangements need to be made with the course instructor to become a formal candidate for membership at the Associate Level.
Winter/Spring 2013 Associate Level Training
- Dates: Fridays and Saturdays beginning January 25 and ending March 23, 2013 (see course brochure for specific dates)
- Time: Fridays 4 p.m. - 8 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Location: Camperdown Academy
- Tuition: $975 plus textbooks (these cost $130 and are available on the first day)
- $100 nonrefundable registration fee is due with registration form
- $875 balance plus textbook fee is due on or before the first day of class
Instructor: Heidi Bishop, Fellow/AOGPE
Title: Tutor/Director of Transitions/Training Coordinator, Camperdown Academy
Affiliations: President, SC Branch of the International Dyslexia Association
The Teacher Training Program of Camperdown Academy does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, creed, religion, or national ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship programs, or other school programs and activities.